New York City, NY
Break A Difference
(B•A•D) programs are offered in a variety of cities across the nation. At our New York City site, volunteers will assist at various agencies dedicated to preventing homelessness and reducing poverty. Moving beyond the standard tourist sections, Break’rs will explore a bit of what it takes to make ends meet in the nation’s largest city.
At A Glance
49%, about half of New York’ers, speak a language other than English at home. Overall, more than 800 languages are spoken here. This city has a lot to celebrate in terms of diversity. However, Manhattan also has the highest dollar income gap of any city in the country. The top 5 percent of households earned $864,394, or 88 times as much as the poorest 20 percent.
Cost includes the following:
- $395 per participant (personal fundraising websites available)
- 3 Meals per day
- Housing (in Newark, NJ)
- Local transportation to and from service sites
- Local transportation to and from local transportation hubs during arrival and departure
- Team building and reflection activities
- Opportunities to explore to nearby attractions (i.e. Times Square, Freedom Tower, Newark, etc.)
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR); shuttles available from JFK or LGA to EWR at your own cost
Each participant is responsible for for their own travel to and from ASB cities (i.e airplane, train, bus, car, etc.)
Learn More About New York City